Skip to the content

Launching Saundersfoot Harbour to international success

Launching Saundersfoot Harbour to international success

This press release was published under the 2011 - 2016 Welsh government

The Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism Ken Skates today officially opened phase 1 of the redevelopment of Saundersfoot Harbour, which marks a major step forward in developing a high quality international destination for marine tourism.
Wednesday 29 July 2015

Work on phase 1 of the Saundersfoot Harbour Development finished last month with the completion of the harbour decking. The project also included a new slipway, sea wall, visitor pontoon and dry boat racking facilities.

The development was awarded £463,500 European Regional Development Funding towards a £927,000 total project cost. Additional funding of £235,000 has been secured via the Welsh Government’s Tourism Investment Support Scheme fund (TISS).

This development will act as a catalyst for the wider redevelopment strategy for the area and the development of a marine centre of excellence in Saundersfoot  which will revitalise the village attracting new tourism developments, have a wider positive impact on its neighbouring villages and towns, as well as establishing an additional new employment opportunities within the destination.

Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ken Skates, said:

“Saundersfoot Harbour has long been recognised as one of the jewels in the crown of Pembrokeshire  and this development will help establish a reputation for the harbour as a high quality international marine destination  and make it an iconic tourism destination for Wales.

“The project will have an impact on employment in the local area, offer a huge benefit to the community, enhance the future visitor experience in Saundersfoot and perhaps most importantly provided long-term security for the harbour. I commend all of those who have worked in partnership on this initiative for completing such a successful project within such a short timescale and wish you every success in continuing with this exciting vision for the harbour.”

Chairman of the Harbour Commission, Philip Evans, said:

“The Harbour Commissioners and I are delighted that Phase 1 of the maritime infrastructure developments have been completed as planned.  We are grateful for the support of Welsh Government and our partners in enabling the vision of the ‘Sailing Ahead' strategy of The Trust Port of Saundersfoot to be turned into a reality with the aim of attracting additional visitors, creating new full-time skilled jobs and providing tangible economic benefits to the local and wider community.  The Commissioners are now focusing on bringing Phase 2 of the development into being which will create iconic marine and visitor facilities at the harbour, establishing Saundersfoot as a must visit location when holidaying in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales.”

About the author

The Saundersfoot Harbour Team

The Saundersfoot Harbour Team

Got a question?

Our friendly team at Saundersfoot Harbour will get back to as soon as possible with any queries you have about the new development or regarding the harbour facilities.